2D/3D Animation is an inevitable method of producing highly engaging digital content. With the right mix of animation, graphics, and script, animated products can connect instantly with the consumers. That is why businesses use animation for multiple purposes, with promotion, marketing, and brand awareness being the primary motives. The inclination of businesses towards animation is not just based on assumptions. It is backed by research data as well.
Multiple pieces of research have shown that 2D/3D video animation services can significantly boost all types of business conversion and raise the business prospects by up to eighty percent. At the same time, the animation is regularly used for eLearning and digital training purposes as well. Whiteboard animation, storyboard-based animation, and animated illustration videos effectively explain complex learning topics comprehensively.
But, there are diverse types and styles of animation, and different types of animation serve different purposes. Thus, it is very important to identify the correct animation style to suit the companies’ objectives. But, in how many ways can organizations use 2D/3D animation? And how can the companies decide which type of animation will be the most suited for their purpose? Let’s find out in this blog.
What is the difference between 2D and 3D animation?
Different animation styles can be broadly categorized into two major types, one is 2D animation, while the other is 3D animation. Though both are used quite generously nowadays, there are certain differences between these two types. Let’s take a look at some of those differences.
- 2D animation is the most traditional form of animation. So, the field of 2D animation is quite evolved, and we have a wide knowledge of its various uses and limitations. But, 3D animation is comparatively new, so, knowledge set is limited for this domain.
- 3D animation is much more powerful than 2D animation. It can create life-like videos with powerful animated characters. But, 2D animation fails to deliver effective animated characters. It is because it produces a flat image.
- In 3D animation, you can feel an object or a character. But, in 2D animation, the characters and objects mostly lie in the same plane as their environment. This property of 2D animation has dual nature. It can be both a boon and a bane, depending on the purpose.
- As the 2D animation lies in a single plane, it is very useful for developing moving storyboards. Moreover, many hand-drawn characters can be converted into 2D animated characters. It helps in developing digital animated comic books.
- But, editing a 2D animated video is much more difficult than the 3D animated ones. In 2D animation, an animator draws the different features, and editing them requires redrawing the entire scenario. While, in 3D animation, one can easily edit an individual object.
What is 2.5D animation?
As we saw above, both 2D and 3D animation have their pros and cons. Sometimes, businesses require something which can blend the effect of both. And from this objective, the idea of 2.5D animation arose into existence. 2.5D, as the name suggests, lies between 2D and 3D animation. It does not include a purely three-dimensional space as the 3D animation does, but still, it can raise some of its components above the two-dimensional plane. The 2.5D animation has some unique advantages, which no other animation style can provide. Some of its benefits are discussed below:
- In 2.5D, we use 3D objects over a 2D background. It means, editing the 2.5D animation is not as difficult as the 2D animation, as one can still separate the objects from the background.
- 2.5D generates a unique visual experience. It is completely different from 2D/3D animation. Hence, the viewers get something fresh and interesting to watch.
- In addition, the freshness of the 2.5D style adds immense advantages to businesses as well. Businesses can create authentic and unique content, a class apart from their competitors.
- 2.5D is commonly used for eLearning and gaming industries. This technology can develop very interesting virtual characters and instructors that can be laced over any 2D environment.
2D and 3D Animated Videos for eLearning
Studies show that eLearning and marketing are the two sectors most often of all the sectors using animated videos production. But, what makes animation so popular among eLearning? Let’s find out below:
- The eLearning companies regularly develop animated videos for online courses. But, they can use animation for many other purposes as well. Some of the other uses include developing animated instructors, and most importantly, using whiteboard animation.
- Whiteboard animation is very useful for describing any kind of learning topic. The companies use whiteboard animation to develop topic illustration videos. The biggest benefit of a whiteboard animation video is that it follows a perfect synchronization between the instructor and the visuals. Hence, it can generate a virtual classroom-like feeling.
- The second most important use of animation in eLearning is to develop virtual study environments. Virtual labs, different types of simulations, can gain sharpness if efficient 2D/3D animation is used along with them.
Pros & Cons of Animated Videos for Businesses
The effect of using animated videos for businesses largely depends on the way it is being used. While appropriate 2D/3D animation services can be a major boost to businesses, inappropriate services and videos can equally harm the companies. So, the businesses must choose the right service-providing company that can deliver tailor-made animated videos.
Some of the unique benefits of using 2D/3D animated videos for businesses are discussed below.
- We all know that businesses regularly develop full-length animated videos for promotional purposes. But 2D/3D animation should not be limited to producing videos only. Businesses can use animation everywhere, from logos to emailers.
- The animated logos can develop a very good impression about the businesses. It makes the companies stand apart from the rest of the companies using still logos. Moreover, the companies can add animated logos in different mediums, including websites, social media, and videos.
- In addition to logos, the companies can even develop animated emails and social media objects. The animated emails help to enhance the interest of the consumers, and animated social media posts grab higher views than the normal ones.
To Sum Up
The 2D/3D animation services, if used properly, can give a big boost to businesses. But, for maximum effects, the companies must carefully choose between the various styles and types of animation. Both 2D and 3D animation have their pros and cons, and both serve different purposes. When a combined effect is required, the companies can go for 2.5D, both unconventional and interesting. There are many differences between the 2D and 3D animation services. But the most prominent differences lie in the feel of the videos. While 2D video lies flat, the 3D objects and characters are much more life-like. Also, the 3D videos are easier to modify, but 2D videos are cost-effective.
The 2D/3D animation services are used for multiple purposes, including videos, social media posts, learning videos, and many more. Appropriate animated videos can significantly increase the business outreach and hence can immensely benefit the companies.